Higher National Diploma in Mine Geology
Geology is the study of the earth’s crust and its rock formations, it entails classifying and mapping of the composition and distribution of mineral deposits that are contained in the earth’s formations. This course is designed to provide advanced specialised training for Mine Geology graduates, leading to excellent employment opportunities in the extractive industry. You will attain a comprehensive understanding of the role of a geo-technologist working in the mining industry, and learn new skills including underground geological and geotechnical mapping, surveying, mineral exploration, ore microscopy, ore deposit modelling and mine planning. Furthermore, you will gain knowledge in mineral resource estimation and grade control, mineral extraction and management, mining law and the environmental impact of mining.
At Zimbabwe School of Mines, the practical applications of mine geology in industry are emphasised through field trips to the mines, guest speakers and attachment. The disciplines you may touch on include Mineralogy and Petrology, Mine Geology, Structural Geology Methods and Field mapping Soils, Environment Geology and Hydrology among many courses. You will study taught modules over Block Release.
This course meets the education requirements of the HEXCO Higher National Diploma for certification as a Mine Geologist. You will also meet the educational requirements for the Higher National Diploma in Mine Geology.
Students should be able to:
- Undertake exploration and discovery of new mineral deposits
- Evaluate the geological, economical and mining potential of all prospective mining targets assessing the ore’s body value and size.
- Generate Geological maps using satellite imagery and aerial photographs
- Take samples for analysis by the geochemist or analyst
- effectively acquire, allocate and utilise human and physical resources.
- Monitor the grade of ore mined
- Predict and locate new ore resources/reserves
- evaluate environmental issues in the planning of the geological and mining projects.
- Apply geographic information systems hardware and software in geological evaluation and decision making.
- apply knowledge from Mining, Metallurgy, Surveying, and other mining disciplines in problem solving and in geological programs.
- Plan, conduct, process and prepare reports on geophysical and geochemical projects.
- Mineral exploration and development
- Mine Geo-technician
- Geological engineer