Geology is the study of the earth’s crust and its rock formations, it entails classifying and mapping of the composition and distribution of mineral deposits that are contained in the earth’s formations. This course uses the concepts and practices of applied geology as its central theme and brings a balanced and comprehensive treatment of the geological, geochemical, geophysical and economic elements of exploration and mining.
At Zimbabwe School of Mines, the practical applications of mine geology in industry are emphasised through field trips to the mines, guest speakers and attachment. The disciplines you may touch on include Mineralogy and Petrology, Mine Geology, Structural Geology Methods and Field mapping Soils, Environment Geology and Hydrology among many courses.
This course meets the education requirements of the HEXCO National Diploma for certification as a Mine Geologist. You will also meet the educational requirements for the National Diploma in Mine Geology.
- Mineral exploration and development
- Mine Geotechnician
- Geological engineer
Students should be able to:
- Undertake exploration and discovery of new mineral deposits
- Generate Geological maps using satellite imagery and aerial photographs
- Take samples for analysis by the geochemist or analyst
- Assess the ore’s body value and size
- Monitor the grade of ore mined
- Predict and locate new ore resources/reserves