Diploma in Mining Engineering
In this course you will study mining methods, rock mechanics, geology and mine planning. You’ll develop the skills necessary to work with mining engineers in the exploitation of minerals from underground or open-pit mines, safely and economically. Throughout your study here you will be exposed to industry and potential future employers, you’ll also have the opportunity to undertake field trips to gain real-world experience in mining. This course will prepare you for employment with local and international mining companies. You’ll have the opportunity to study at our Zimbabwe School of Mines, a leader in mining and geosciences education in the SADC region and beyond.
At Zimbabwe School of Mines we produce technically competent, environmental and safety conscious mining technicians who meet mining industry standards and requirements, and provide skills acquisition and development opportunities for the mining personnel. Mining Technicians are hands on practitioners at all stages of a mine project. Before a new site is developed, they assess its viability and assist with planning the mine’s structure. They are responsible for production and development at a mine. Mining Technicians identify and manage resources required to operate at full production at an optimum cost. They are an integral part of the team responsible for mine closure and rehabilitation.
This course meets the education requirements of the HEXCO National Diploma for certification as an underground or open-pit mine supervisor. You will also meet the educational requirements for the National Diploma in Mining.
- Engineering consultant
- Mine manager
- Mining engineer
- Mining company director
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- Develop production processes in both surface and underground operations of various types.
- Supervise subordinate.
- Apply environmental issues in the design and location of mine infrastructure.
- Apply safety legislative requirements in developing and implementing job procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of economic and technical factors which influence viability of a mining project.
- Apply the knowledge of computers in basic mine planning and design tasks.
- Compare and contrast various underground mining methods.
- Compare and contrast various surface mining methods.
- Select the best mining method and equipment for a given situation.
- Demonstrate Patriotism.
- Demonstrate a critical, logical and objective approach to problem solving at the work place and
- Implement health and safety at the work place.