Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering
This course involves an in depth investigation of the chemical and physical properties of ores, metallic and non-metallic minerals, alloys from the mining process and allied industries. It also provides an appreciation of the activities of the mineral processing plant. The aim of the course is to develop a technician with the knowledge, skills and attitudes of the mining and allied industries. Upon completion of the course students would have sufficient knowledge to accurately conduct assays of gold, silver and other precious metals and be able to identify and analyse divergent results to ensure improved accuracy. Methods taught will include cupellation for gold, potentiometric titration for silver and X-Ray fluorescence for precious / non-precious metals.
At Zimbabwe School of Mines, metallurgical assaying’s practical applications in engineering and industry are emphasised through field trips to the mines and attachment. The subjects you may touch on include Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry and Industrial Management among many others.
The Diploma will be awarded to candidates who have successfully completed the course and passed examinations in accordance with the ZSM Regulations.
After completing the course students should be able to:
- Apply scientific principles and analytical procedures in the Metallurgical plant.
- Engage in entrepreneurship activities in Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy.
- Apply computer knowledge in Metallurgical activities;
- Carry out all processes involved from the time raw material is received to the time when the target product is produced;
- Carry out the reduction of most minerals;
- Demonstrate Patriotism;
- Demonstrate a critical, logical and objective approach to problem solving at the work place; and implement health, safety and environment at the work place;
- Implement health, safety and environmental concepts at work place;
- Operate plant machinery;
- Demonstrate mine management and accounting principles.
Graduates with the Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering can be employed as Metallurgical Technicians in:
- Mining houses,
- Metallurgical related industries,
- Entrepreneurial ventures.