Mining is literally a booming industry. It is the extraction of valuable minerals and geological materials from the earth’s ore body deposits, seams and reefs, which forms the mineralized package of economic substance and use.
Mandate is to produce technically competent, environmental and safety conscious mining technicians who meet mining industry standards and requirements, and to provide skills acquisition and development opportunities for the mining personnel.
Mining Technicians are hands on practitioners at all stages of a mine project. Before a new site is developed, they assess its viability and assist with planning the mine’s structure. They are responsible for production and development at a mine. Mining Technicians identify and manage resources required to operate at full production at an optimum cost. They are an integral part of the team responsible for mine closure and rehabilitation.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
· Practice and promote company safety, environmental, confidentiality and operational policies and procedures.
· Develop short term mine plans for operations.
· Assist in developing overall direction for design and life of mine plan.
· Complete Daily Mine Report for Mine Production.
· Develop blasting and explosives plans for production and development.
· Design shafts and access and openings to underground.
Mining department ranks amongst the best equipped mining labs in the region with state of the art equipment in ventilation and rock mechanics as well as highly ranked professional, experienced and qualified staff to take you through the courses. The schools spectacle array of excellence is unarguable amongst all mine houses within the region and boasts of both regionally and internationally proven graduates. Locally, the school is an anchor to the steadily growing Mining Industry
National Diploma Mining Subjects
· Surface Mining
· Underground Mining
· Explosives and Blasting
· Mine Survey
· Engineering Mathematics
· Research Methods
· National and Strategic Studies
· Entrepreneurial Development Skills
· Computer Applications
· On the Job Training
· Mine Management
· Environmental Management & Protection
· Rock Mechanics and Ground Control
· Mine Valuation and Economics
· Mine Ventilation
· Mine Machinery
· Mine Transport and Winding
· Mine Hydrology
· Drager Pumps.
· Drager gas monitors.
· Vane anemometers.
· Hot wire anemometers.
· Data logging sound level Dosimeters.
· Heat stress meters.