The Zimbabwe School of Mines is a unique, dynamic and vibrant mining training Institution that was formed by a Presidential Charter in 1994 although its existence dates back to 1926 where it was operating from Gifford High School.
Mr. P.H. Gifford plus four other people incepted the Bulawayo Technical School in 1927 with a total of 39 students. In 1934 the School of Mines was moved from Gifford High School to be under the Bulawayo Technical School.
The establishment of a Mining Department at the Bulawayo Technical School was a result of the deliberations of a Special Committee appointed by the then Minister of Mines. The mandate for the committee was ‘to consider the best means of affording technical education and practical training for youths who wished to enter the Mining Industry.’
The scheme also received approval from the then Rhodesia Chamber of Mines, which at that time was headquartered in Bulawayo. The Chamber of Mines ‘considered the move as a necessary provision of technical training for youths for one of the most important industries in the country’.
In 1934 Mr. Roland Starkey, who was the Mining Representative of the school prepared a scheme for starting of “the School of Mines” which later became the fully-fledged Mining Department in 1936.
Quote from the Editorial of the Technical School Magazine of November 1934 about the Mining school:“The intention is to provide a measure of theoretical and practical training for boys and youths who intend to take mining as a career, or who are already engaged in the industry, in order that they shall better equip themselves for their life’s work. The beginning will be on modest scale, but the full scheme is flexible, and has been so thought out that it will be possible later to build on the foundations thus provide a recognised School of Mines.”
Over the years the Bulawayo Technical School experienced growth and became a Technical College in 1952, then a Polytechnic in 1988.
In 1994 The Zimbabwe School of Mines moved to the current premises in Killarney after obtaining its own Presidential Charter to run as a separate entity. It is now over 70 years that the Mining School was established, from a technical section of a High School to a big institution known as the Zimbabwe School of Mines that is“Serving the SADC Region” and a school to reckon in the Southern African Region.
Discussion to transfer the School from the Ministry of Higher Education to the Ministry of Mines started.
Not happy with the lumping of school in the bureaucratic management of Polytechnic through Ministry ofHigher Education
Involvement of Chamber of Mines in Curriculum Development and Quality of training was invisible.
Enforcement of mining law and regulations by CGME was invisible
Staff were lumped up in civil service, mining approach and business culture not inculcated in staff
In 1992 the Ministry of Mines and the Chamber of Mines successfully lobbied for the transfer of the Bulawayo School of Mines from the Ministry of Higher Education to the Ministry of Mines. However the School continued to be within the Bulawayo Polytechnic campus. The buildings that the school occupied hand been built by the Chamber of Mines. In 1992 to 1993 the School was still under the Ministry of Mines but in transit to being an independent entity.
The Chamber of Mines formed a Zimbabwe School of Mines advisory committee chaired by Nick Bell, which was responsible for monitoring the transitional phase.
The Chamber of Mines opened a sub body within it which was called Chamber of Mines trading as Zimbabwe School of Mines.
Ministry of Mines with assistance from Chamber of Mines negotiated for a Canadian protocol that was to assist in the establishment of the new Zimbabwe School of Mines.
Olympus Gold Mines under the Chairmanship of Roy Stephens donated the land the school is build on.
Chamber of Mines donated the prefabricated buildings which housed the school before the construction of the permanent buildings.
The Chamber of Mines set up the Mining Industry funding mechanism for the school.
The Chamber of Mines subsidised salaries of staff (topped up) to enable the school to attract experienced trainers from the industry.
The Chamber of Mines after agreeing on the parameters of the Charter they sent the document to the Attorney General for final scrutiny.
The Successive Ministers of Mines, Chris Anderson and E. Zvobgo, the Ministry of Mines Permanent Secretary, D. Murangari and the Chamber of Mines President, Roy Stephens and his CEO, Derick Bain were instrumental in the drafting of the Charter.
1992 the Zimbabwean Canadian Protocol on Zimbabwe School of Mines project was signed and the first Principal D. Hemingway was appointed. He was a secondment from the Hailybury School of Mines in Canada.
The Zimbabwe School of Mines Charter was granted.
The School moved from the Ministry of Mines to an independent entity.
New conditions of service and industry related staff grades were established.
Staff were transferred from the civil service to ZSM.
ZSM became guided by the mining industry code of conduct and mining industry regulations
ZSM became a full member of Mining Industry Pension Fund (MIPF)
Staff and the Institution subscribe to the requirements and standards of NEC Mining Industry
For administrative purposes, ZSM as an institution, was treated as a “MINE” and mine number given
All property at the school was transferred from the Government to Zimbabwe School of Mines.
Government through PSIP started the construction of the new school buildings.
The Chamber of Mines transferred funds that were kept under the Chamber of Mines trading as Zimbabwe School of Mines.
The Board was appointed and started running the school.
The board appointed Corporate Secretary for governance systems to start working
The board and the working committees were appointed. This completed the governance structures of the school.
In 1992 the Zimbabwean Government and the Canadian Government signed a protocol to assist the development of Zimbabwe School of Mines. The main areas covered by the protocol were:-
Provision of training equipment
Staff development (staff exchange between Haileybury School of Mines and Zimbabwe School of Mines)
Academic development (Curriculum design and library material)
Governance at Mining Training Institutions (Association of Canadian Community Colleges, Northern College, Haileybury School of Mines and Zimbabwe School of Mines)
Intellectual Information exchange.
Technical staff for kick starting ZSM (First CEO of ZSM was the former Dean of Haileybury School of Mines).
This Project was one of the most instrumental projects in the development of Zimbabwe School of Mines and equipped the School with the training equipment which made it the best equipped mining training institution in Africa.
New Zimbabwe School of Mines: Founding Principles
|Mr. D. E. H. Murangari
Permanent Secretary – Ministry of Mines (Chairman)
|Mr. A. G. Van Breda||
Director of Finance & Administration – Ministry of Mines
|Dr. A. C. Mandal||
Chief Government Mining Engineer
|Mr. S. M. N. Ncube||
Director: Department of Geological Survey
|Mr. T. Nyatsanga||
Director: Department of Metallurgy
|Mr. C. D. C. Bain
Chief Executive – Chamber of Mines
|Mr. D. Hemmingway
Principal – School of Mines
|Mr. D. W. Fomison
||Association of Mine Managers of Zimbabwe|
|Mr. R. G. Stephens||Representing Chamber of Mines|
|M. J. Nixon||Institution of Mining and Metallurgy|
|Mr. J. Allott
||Association of Mine Engineers of Zimbabwe|
|Dr. J. L. Orpen
||University of Zimbabwe (Departments of Mining, Metallurgy and Geology)|
|Mr. M. K. Makanza||Association of Mine Surveyors of Zimbabwe|
|Mr. E. H. Jere||SADC Representative|
|Mr. N. J. W. Bell||Chairman – Academic Committee – Association of Mine Managers of Zimbabwe|
|Mr. P. E. Bourhill||Geological Society of Zimbabwe|
Past & Present Board Of Management Chairman
Past & Present Academic Chairman
The Associateship is the highest honour, award and decoration that ZSM can confer on an individual or Institution
Was the first CEO of the new Zimbabwe School of Mines.
Spearheaded the move from the Ministry of Higher Education to the new ZSM.
Was on a secondment from the HaileyBury School of Mines in the Zimbabwean – Canadian protocol to spearhead the new ZSM.
Started the Bursary Fund at ZSM where students were being sponsored to train different courses in the mining department. Some of the beneficiaries of the Norman & Rosemary Levin Bursary Fund are senior managers in the mining industry.
Donated equipment to the school, which include a stamp mill, very large bullion scale, assay balances, and other mining equipment.
Donated to the school several batches of library books, furniture and students awards.
In recognition of his numerous contributions to the School, in October 2003 the Board of ZSM named one of the Labs after Norman Levin.
Was the CEO of the Chamber of Mines when the school was being moved from the Ministry of Higher Education to the new ZSM.
Managed the transitional (Chamber of Mines trading as ZSM) until the Charter was signed.
Was the central figure in mobilising industry to participate in the school.
Served ten years of executive service to the School.
First Zimbabwean CEO of the Zimbabwe School of Mines.
Was the first employee of the new Zimbabwe School of Mines.
Served fifteen years of executive service to the school.
First Corporate Secretary of ZSM
Third CEO of ZSM